Monday, January 10, 2011

...Because the LORD Has Anointed Me to Proclaim Good News...

"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor." (Is. 61:1-3)

A friend of mine really challenged and encouraged me the other day by walking up to a stranger and asked her if she had ever heard the gospel before, told her briefly, and told her that God loved her so much. When I asked why he did that (because, unfortunately, this is not normal), he told me that he had committed to telling at least one person about the good news of Jesus and praying for at least one sick person a week. He pulled out Isaiah 61 and said that he looked at it like it is a résumé.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
___Insert your name here if you are in Christ___
777 Golden St. - 777.777.7777 - believer@emial.com

Education:
1) The Word of God
2) The Spirit of God

Certification:
Received the Holy Spirit from the Father through faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ.

Skills & Specialties (Anointing):

1) Preaching the good news of Jesus to the poor
2) Binding up the broken hearted
3) Proclaiming freedom for captives
4) Releasing prisoners from darkness
5) Proclaiming the year of the Lord's favor
6) Comforting all who mourn
7) Providing for those who grieve in Zion
8) Bestowing on those in Zion a crown of beauty, oil of joy, and garments of praise

References:
Isaiah 61
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This really convicted me and I am feeling a tug to start acting on the things i have been anointed to do. I've been given the Spirit and anointing but haven't done much with it. I want to be able to say to someone who is on bondage, "You're in luck! I happen to specialize in setting the captives free.", etc...

If we don't start living into, and living out, our vocation, who will?

In actually starting to do this, if you don't share the gospel often or pray for the sick regularly, it can be very intimidating. I tried to work up the courage to share the gospel with two guys at a coffee shop yesterday and I ended up chickening out. But that is not going to stop me for at least attempting to make this apart of my life. My friend who witnessed to the stranger the other day admitted that he was really nervous and wasn't really good at sharing the gospel yet and he sometimes sees the sick healed, sometimes not, but that doesn't stop him. I can promise you that as he keeps up this commitment of praying for at least 1 sick person and sharing the good news with at least 1 person a week, he will get better and better and more effective each time. God has promised, that if we are faithful with a little, he will give us more. (Matt. 25:21, Lk. 16:10)

If you are in Christ you have been given the ministry of reconciliation. As ambassadors for Christ, we are charged to implore the world to be reconciled to God, just as through Christ, we were reconciled. (2 Cor. 5:18-21)

I challenge myself, and you who are reading this, to make some sort of commitment or effort in this direction. Whether you commit sharing with and/or praying for 1 person a day or week or month or anything at all...Church! Just do something!

Please know that this does not take the place of YOU knowing the person of Jesus Christ. 
Beware, you can do a lot for Jesus but still never know him. (Matt. 7:21-23)

Intimacy with Jesus drives us out to be his hands and feet.
Love God, and you will love people.

You have to hear this song. Every Captive Free by Matt Gilman

8 comments:

  1. Isaiah 60 is pretty great/encouraging/empowering too.
    I love and miss you and your fiery heart for Jesus brother Chris.
    No one loves Him and blesses everyone around him quite like you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isaiah 61 was my key scripture in my move to Ireland. I think I've had more nervousness and anxiety in witnessing here than anywhere else I have lived, however, it is indeed the very reason I am here. When we put aside those fears and trust in the One who is greater, the result is quite extraordinary. Sometimes we make great connections with the heart of folk and often we don't, but regardless of the response, EVERY time is a moment of surrender to God's will and it builds us up to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Set your captives free=amazing. Matt gillman= anointed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!! That's really cool! I LOVE United Pursuit, they are amazing! I actually found your blog by looking at my profile and where it said "favorite books" I clicked on 'Always Enough' and it gave me a list of other people who also listed that in their favorite books. Your posts are so encouraging to me, I love the ones about your trips and everything! So awesome :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting stuff, chris. i periodically check out your blog and i am always intrigued. i had a lady come up to me not long ago as i was carrying a 12 back of beer out of the grocery store and ask me if i attended church, then invited me to hers. in my view, and the view of my friends who have nothing to do with any sort of church, it was far more off-putting than inviting. i often wonder about this type of approach and the long-term effects that it has on people. you mentioned feeling nervous about approaching strangers, but i have to wonder what they're feeling about being approached...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the thoughts Michael. That is totally what I worry about and why sometimes I hesitate. But I have found that asking Jesus who he would have me talk to, and also how to talk to them has really been a great way to do it and the response so far has been positive all around! It is a little better than the random invitations to church. But even those, i must admit, have on occasion been the key for people coming to the Lord. I suppose, in the end, I would always err on the side of obedience. I always welcome a little push back, it keeps me well balanced in my thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete