Sunday, July 31, 2011

Week 4: The Wonderful Cross



My friends. In the past week, Jesus has gripped me once again with the weightiness of the cross and the gravity of his grace and mercy. As revival historian Ray Hughes spoke last week the Spirit fell on our class and there was mass weeping and repenting as we all got revelation of how much we are so distracted by everything else in life and all too often forget the simplicity and severity of the sacrifice of our God hanging on a tree.

A a friend of mine would often say in his sermons, "The cross levels the playing field. It shows that we are all the wretched that God had to die in order that we be saved. But it also shows that we are all that loved, because God did die for us." It is said of Evan Roberts, known for his role in the Welsh revival of 1904, that one day while at a training school for ministry, he considered himself backsliden when he looked upon a cross that was hanging on the wall and didn't weep. We all might react in different ways but the point is that the reality of what God has done for us should stir our hearts.

The cross is the climax of all history. Everything in the Old Testament points to it, the gospels give its context and details, and everything from Acts on points back to it. My friends, there are untold depths of revelation that cross carries just waiting for kings to seek them out. (Prov. 25:2) Let us all take sometime to remember this great act of love, take it off the shelf, and put it back onto the center stage of our lives once again.
Let this be a daily meditation: "O the wonderful cross."


When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died
My richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride

See from his head, his hands, his feet sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did ever such love and sorrow meet or thorns compose so rich a crown

O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross bids me come and die and find that I may truly live
O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross all who gather here by grace draw near and bless Your name

Were the whole realm of nature mine that were an offering far too small
Love so amazing, so divine demands my soul, my life, my all


4 comments:

  1. I don't really like this statement:
    "It is said of Evan Roberts, known for his role in the Welsh revival of 1904, that one day while at a training school for ministry, he considered himself backsliden when he looked upon a cross that was hanging on the wall and didn't weep."

    Why would God want us to always feel sad? Doesn't he want us to be able to move on and feel the joy. Weep when there is something that needs to be repented of, but don't look back on it again and again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was referring to tears of thankfulness out of the realization of the greatness of the grace afforded to him. We all have different ways of reacting, some cry, some laugh for joy, etc... I think the point is that the power and reality of the cross should move us, in one way or another. What about this did you like? Those kind of comments are always so encouraging and uplifting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I'm a downer!!!
    Your comment makes so much more sense though. That actually resonates with a lot of stuff that I've been thinking about lately. That it should move us to thankfulness not shame...
    It was never a mistake in the teachings of my youth group or anything, but I've never been able to feel that pure joy that you're "supposed to" feel. I always feel like there is a guilt lingering there so thats why, when I read that my mind defaulted to feelings of shame/guilt. So, I retract my statement of dislike :]

    Anyways! I really like this part "The cross is the climax of all history. Everything in the Old Testament points to it, the gospels give its context and details, and everything from Acts on points back to it." I'd be interested in hearing about how much of the old testament applies to how we live our lives. For example, the other day I realized that the rule/suggestion that we tithe 10% was a law from the old testament. Jesus said to give, but I don't believe he ever mentioned the 10%, he kind of said "give until you have nothing left"...

    I hope you don't mind me long and critical comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy! I would love to chat about the tithe! I can tell you, you are on the right track with that thought. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond my friend!

    ReplyDelete